By: Francesca S.
So 2016 ended, duh. Many things have happened, many have made us sad, mad and afraid, and those have taken the news’ headlines. Here are the good and positive things that have happened in 2016.
- Taiwan elects the first female president, Tsai Ing-wen, in January 2016. She promises to build a new era of politics for the country.
- Average child mortality has decreased globally. For example, in Russia the rate dropped by 12%.
- The Italian Parliament recognized civil unions for same-sex couples in May 2016, after many years of struggles from groups supporting the bill.
- The Paris Agreement on climate change has been the fastest UN treaty to go from agreement to international law in modern history.
- Norway became the first European country to quit deforestation, and sets an example for more countries to save rainforests.
- Madrid, Paris, Athens and Mexico City have decided to ban diesel vehicles by 2025 to tackle air pollution. Actually, the World Health Organization says that air pollution is a cause of at least three million deaths.
- Tiger population has increased for the first time in a century, especially in Russia, Nepal, India and Bhutan. Now the WWF wishes to double the number of wild tigers by 2022.
- The Rio Olympics came and went and were an occasion to celebrate cultures and sports.
- Especially sportsmanship, when long-distance runners D’Agostino (US team) and Hamblin (New Zealand team) helped each other up.
- NASA’s Juno spacecraft begins to orbit around Jupiter in July and begins a 20-month survey of the planet.
On a lighter note,
- Deadpool was a hilarious movie and The Jungle Book made us feel better.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a best seller.
- Beyonce’s Lemonade album.
- Di Caprio’s short film Before the Flood.
- Adele’s 25 live album tour with almost 1.5 million people attending.
- Marvel’s and DC’s superhero movies.
- Nintendo released Pokémon Go and broke records (as well as breaking their servers).
- Oh, and Leonardo Di Caprio won his first Oscar for best actor in The Revenant.
As Harper Lee said, “Things are never as bad as they seem.”
As for 2017, I hope we see other positive changes in the world. Happy New Year everyone!